A Word to Self Publishers Updated
Vanity presses are great services. But just because a person has paid the fee to have their book bound does not mean that it is deserving of being included in a library’s collection.
So, here are a few tips to aspiring self publishers:
1) Before turning in your manuscript, make sure its been copy edited! Pay particular attention to comma usage.
2) If you absolutely have to use photoshop for your cover, make sure you’ve read the instructions fully.
3) Fonts that should not be used: Chiller, Copperplate Gothic, Comic Sans, and the pen function in photoshop.
4) Send some comp copies to the local papers in the hopes of a review.
5) No more Mary Sue stories!
6) Review similar books to your own to gain an understanding of basic publishing conventions.
*new* 7) If donating a copy to a library, do not expect to get it back.
This has been a public service.